A blog for Professor G's hip-hop courses incl. MSC 3018 (Sp 08) and ANT/BLS 3085 (Fa08).

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Jelani Cobb p. 11: When did you fall in love with hip hop?



Views: 95,314
From: RJDakaRowJayDee
Added: August 22, 2006
Notes: Clip form the movie 'Brown Sugar'
Video Responses: 0 Text Comments: 143

Views: 95,314
Ratings: 131
Responses: 0 Comments: 143 Favorited: 581 times

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness...I remember the first time I fell in love with hip-hop. I was five years old and my older brother Cory was ten, and since my younger sister wasn't old enough to talk, I followed everything Cory did and said. One day he and I were watching the Kris-Kross video "Jump", and he stood up and started bopping his head and alternating his legs up and down while making hand gestures and mouthing the words to the song. I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen, so I got up and followed.

It was much more than just following my big brother this time. I actually felt my body in rhythm with the beat of the song, and couldn't understand for the life of me why this music had such a profound effect on me. I began to watch more and more videos and pay closer attention to the songs of that time, which was around '93, '94 or so. The rest is history.

yasmin mirand-foster said...

Yasmin Foster
BLS 3850
3rd yr/Marketing

Love is one of the strongest words that anyone can use; when its meant genuinely and truthfully it envolves deep passion and connected emotion. I'ts a feeling very hard to fall out of, and it takes time for it to really be real. Hip-hop is something that I'm not in love with. And its not because I'm opposed to the music, I just dont feel I know it well enough to call it love. Although I feel that I dont really know hip-hop on a deep level, this summer, I truly began to like it, and it only took one rapper...Lil Wayne. It started off with me just liking one song, and then I began to look for more from this one artist. At one point I never even liked hip-hop, and over the course of one season I began to open my eyes to this music, so maybe this is my beginning, and one day I may be in love....with hip-hop.

MoniqueRecaptured said...

I love this movie! =)