A blog for Professor G's hip-hop courses incl. MSC 3018 (Sp 08) and ANT/BLS 3085 (Fa08).

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Celebrating Obama in Harlem from illdoc



Since we talked about that the classroom is one of the last places that transformation has not yet reached, the De La Soul video ME, MYSELF and I is a great video to think on about why transformation has not come yet.

4 comments:

{M.E.S} said...

Mechal S.
ANT 3085
hearthiphop.blogspot.com

Watching the illdoc video really felt like watching the civil right movement in the 60s. I can truly testify that history repeaats itself, but this time the outcome was more positive.

"Yes We Can"

MiZZBreAD said...

This comment is in reference to the de la soul video...this is one of my favorite songs and videos of all time, and i think i figured out what the connection is between the events of the video and the fact that the institution of education hasn't changed. It's individuality. Ever wonder why the teachers that teach individuality don't last long in the schools they are in?

Its a total conspiracy...but anyway, de la soul stood out because they weren't dipped in gold chains and rockin kangols like their talented peers, and they were ridiculed for it. Its a commentary on the educational system today. we are trained from the age of 5 to just consume consume and consume, never to question...

Anonymous said...

hey porf. g just wanted to let yiu know that i also found the videos showing the celebration in Union sq and that flag that I talked about i also found the video that shoudl it in use and also found another video about the people who made it I want to show it in class tomorrow if you dont mind .
Destiny

LAWW said...

I agree with cornbread! I was thinking the same thing! You're basically trained from the moment you set foot in a classroom in school to conform to the ways of it, yet people preach the idea of individuality.. It doesn't make sense! For me, I went to a Catholic school for most of my life which meant strict rules, uniforms, etc. Where is the individuality in that?