A blog for Professor G's hip-hop courses incl. MSC 3018 (Sp 08) and ANT/BLS 3085 (Fa08).

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Remember Lil' Vicious???

Lil' Vicious was a child reggae rapper. At the tender age of 14, Vicious had a hit song called "Nika" which sampled the Isley Brothers' "Between the Sheets", He sampled the song before B.I.G's hit. He also had a hit titled "Freaks", a collaboration with Doug E. Fresh, which today is still one of the illest songs on the planet, definitely a classic. Both songs are from his 1994 album, Destination Brooklyn. He was featured on the "Reggae Soul Mix" of Mariah Carey's "Always Be My Baby" and also featured on M.I.A.'s Piracy Funds Terrorism album.





Today the song has the same effect, like it just came out, even though it has been 14 years. Lil' Vicious performing October 2007



Lil' Vicious performing at the CIAA weekend March 2008

5 comments:

JoeKnows718 said...

Yoooooo Freaks is that party Jam

Anonymous said...

Kisbel Fernandez
10/1/08
ANT 3085;Gaunt
4th year, Marketing Comm.

I honestly had no idea that the artist was a young boy. All these years I thought it was a woman on the track 'Freaks'!!

Nonetheless, I love this song and probably always will. I have witnessed and experienced the effect that this song has on a crowd. It's like EVERYONES' jam, no matter how many years have gone by.

Kisbel

Anonymous said...

Kaleia Davis
ANT/BLS 3085

Wooooooooooo! I'll never forget the first time I heard this song! I was 13 yrs old and I was at my first real hip-hop party. It was at this party that I learned how to grind, lol...This song came on and I thought it was just so HOT! Because the song has a consistent beat, it kept me on beat when I was grinding with the boy. Ahhhhh, good times...

Aja_Le said...

Jessika Hoang
Oct 1 2008
ANT 3085/Gaunt
3rd Year (Business Communications)

WHAT! Freaks is the best party banger ever. I think that's the one song that will never get old because anywhere I go no matter in the car, chillen outside, or in the club, both the ladies and the fellas go BANANAS over it. What's crazy is to see lil vicious now and even though his voice is more mature the song still sounds good and would even be a hit if it came out today.

Anonymous said...

Tiffany White
10/1/08
BLS 3085/Gaunt
2nd yr, Bus. Mgmt

WOW! This is one of my favorties reggae songs. When my friends & I go to parties & we here this song we always get mad HYPE. This song brings back so many memories (none I prefer to discuss at this point LOL).

FYI - I agree with Kisbel (kayeyedub)when she said, "I honestly had no idea that the artist was a young boy. All these years I thought it was a woman on the track 'Freaks'!!" This is very shocking but hey you learn something new everyday.