A blog for Professor G's hip-hop courses incl. MSC 3018 (Sp 08) and ANT/BLS 3085 (Fa08).
HOW TO WEB 2.0
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A blog for Professor G's hip-hop courses incl. MSC 3018 (Sp 08) and ANT/BLS 3085 (Fa08).
10 comments:
I decided to click and comment on Lil Kim's Tag because I like her. When we were asked to write A - N, "What is hip hop?" I mentioned her in my writing. I feel like she was one of the first women to really be respected as a rapper. She's not afraid to speak her mind and essentially tell it like it is. I feel like she embodies the quote, "it is what it is." Many people don't get it, but I really feel like it's self-explanitory. She doesn't sugar-coat anything and she's blunt. Also, she can hang with the guys and like a lot of people say, "thats whats up."
I remember when a college, I think it was Syracuse University, but I could be wrong, was offering a Lil' Kim class that students could take. Everyone had their opinions on it and many people thought it was absurd. I think it would have been awesome to take a class like that, which is why I was happy that this class was offered at Baruch.
To be honest, most of my family, or anyone I tell, thinks this class is a joke and I try to explain to them that it isn't. However, people who don't want to understand, won't. People are biased and a lot of people are just too stubborn to open their minds to something new. It's just funny that the same people who criticize it, will be the same people in this class next semester, guaranteed.
-Lorin Clarke
Jessika Hoang
September 10, 2008 (Due: September 11)
ANT3085/Gaunt
3rd year Business Communications
I definitely wanted to comment on Lil Kim's, "Crush on You" video because I love this song. Like the title of the post it was a blast from the past. It brought back a lot of memories. I was just a child when this song came out but I was living in a low income neighborhood and had 7 babysitters, four African American, two Latino and one Asian. My parents constantly worked all day and all night and they basically left me with any of the older kids who were available at the moment. All of them listened to Hip Hop and I can just remember sitting on the stoop with all the older kids watching them nod their heads and singing to the lyrics of this song as it came on the radio.
What I find most pleasant about this song is that it can still be played today and achieve the same hype it did when it came out. Lil Kim has some great songs, but in my opinion her older rhymes were a lot better than anything she came out with recently.
Yasmin Foster
Sept.10-08
BLS 3085
3rd yr- Marketing
"Crush on You" by Lil Kim is absolutely one of my top songs ever.Very recently I put this song on my ZUNE, after not having heard it in a very long while.Its seems like it was so many years ago that this song came out.I just remember being so young and knowing absolutely every word of this song, not knowing the meanin or what I was saying; I just know that I was feeling the music. Im such a fan of Lil Kim, so anything she does I like and respect. She has so much respect in the hip-hop/rap industry and it is well deserved. She may be vulgar at times, but she created a movement; she showed that you can rap, be raw, hard, honest,exhibit sexual power while bein just like the guys,and extremely sexy all at the same time.
Lil'Kim's Crush On You is still and will always be one of my favorite songs. I remember when it first came, I was too young to even understand what most of her lyrics meant and the vulgarity in them, but regardless everyone my age knew the entire song one from one. I also loved the video, the use of various bright colors and how its matched her wigs, her wardrobe which was hardly nothing, the floors and the scene, and the people dancing coordinated with the colors as well. I thought that was so cute. Also I loved the cameo by Aaliyah, Rest in peace.
Finally I dedicate this video to Prince. "While you count, ya jewels thinkin I'm a cheat ya the only one thing I wanna do is freak ya"
LOL.....
I was just happy top see aaliyah in the video i vaguley remember this video and totally forgot that she made an apppearance in this video
Adiba Choudhury
15th Sept(due 11th Sept)
Ant 3085/Gaunt
3rd year, Marketing
I just randomly clicked on this video.After watching the video and listening to this song,I thought of sharing my opion about it.Firstly, I would like to mention that I never listened to any songs of Lil Kim.I know it might be suprising for many but as I was not born here and grew up in a different country I never listened to this sort of music.Infact, I came to know the terms r&b, hiphop after coming here in New York.
As I was listening to this song,I really liked it.It was nice and fun to listen.I also liked the video and the how they move according to the song. Each steps follow the rhyme to the song.I would like to listen to more songs of Lil Kim as they are really enjoyable.
Monique Salmon
Sep. 20, 2008
ANT 3085/Gaunt
2nd year (Business)
I like this video because she looked very pretty and natural. At this time she didn't have too much botox injected into her face and I see greatly how beautiful she was. She looks a mess now and I don't like it. But what can I do?
This is a classic, hard to believe itsbeen so long since the song & video came out when it seems like just yesterday. As a Hip-Hop artists i respect Lil' Kim. She is one of the first few female rap artist to embrace the masculinity which embodied hip hop and set the stage for a lot of female artists in today's world. She let the guys now, the ladies have skills too... "Dont sleep on it."
Its so funny that as soon as the video started playing, I started singing and booping my head. This song brings so many memories when i was younger. It also relates to the assignment we had to decribe hip-hop well Lil Kim is def hip hop. she is one of the realest rappers out here. Since the first time she came out she hasnt changed with her swagger, sexy clothing, and dont give a f* attitude you just gotta love her.
Post a Comment