A blog for Professor G's hip-hop courses incl. MSC 3018 (Sp 08) and ANT/BLS 3085 (Fa08).

Sunday, August 31, 2008

CNN - Is Hiphop Down with the Vote?

From BlackTube Channel: I have spent a lot of time online over the last couple of months, speaking to young African-Americans about the 2008 election. And even though many of them are enthusiastic about the prospects of electing a black president - most of them have failed to register to vote. And when I asked why they weren't registered, I pretty much got the same response, time after time, "It won't count." Why have some of us convinced ourselves that OUR VOTES don't count? How did we as black people, move from the fierce political involvement of the 60s and 70s, to the sweeping apathy of the new millennium? What happened?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mechal S.
Ant 3085

If artists can encourage thru their music for people to go and vote[thats cool}. But if a person feels that regardless of who is in office, their will be no change,then no one will take that minor step that can make a big difference. I personally feel that the black community is content of always having to struggle and face hardships. So when it comes to voting many have developed a nonchalant attitude, because for them the end-result is always the same{disappointing}